Annual Fish Fry Get-Away Drawing
The Ashtabula Lighthouse Restoration and Preservation Society annual fish fry was on Saturday July 18th at the
Lakeshore Park main pavilion.
The winning tickets for our two "Week-End Get-Away" gift baskets were drawn by Mary Lewis and Mary Schwarz at the annual pot-luck dinner. The lucky winners were Nick Santiana (newly married) and Barb Schultz - see Star Beacon article on sidebar about this event.
Former Ashtabula Life-Saving Station
Prior to January 28, 1915 when Woodrow Wilson signed the "Act to Create the Coast Guard,” the federal government had been supporting an ever increasing number of life-saving stations starting in 1848.
At first these stations were unmanned, housing the equipment necessary to carry out a rescue to ships that were wrecked fairly close to shore by trained volunteers. During the early years, all of the stations were along the Atlantic coast, but in 1876 life-saving stations were added to the Great Lakes. Eventually full-time 6-man crews were hired for each station to be employed during “the the season” which was April-December in the Great Lakes.
According to The Bulletin, Issue 18 by U.S. Lake Survey (found on-line), on Lake Erie there were U.S. Life Saving Stations in Ashtabula, Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie, Fairport and Marblehead. The location of the Ashtabula Station was “On the shore, foot of Franklin Street” according to the same bulletin.
The picture featured on the webpage is a photograph of a display located in the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point in Michigan.
Looking Forward to Summer 2016
Our vision of opening the Ashtabula Lighthouse as a destination for tourists and school children can only be achieved with the help of many volunteers.
If you are interested in helping to restore and preserve this historic Ashtabula landmark please see contact information and consider becoming a member of our organization (see sidebar for application form).
Monetary donations are also needed to preserve our lighthouse.